Saturday, September 12, 2009

What becomes of a broken heart?

I spoke to my ex today for the first time in a long time. We are trying to co-ordinate the shipment of what used to be our cat. When he left the relationship (and our home) he took Eddie. Now that he's getting busy with work he doesn't have the time to take care of him properly. So he's shipping him to me in Vancouver from Toronto. I'll pick Eddie up from the airport tomorrow.

But that's not really the point. During our conversation he asked me if I was still with a boyfriend he'd known about. I answered honestly - no, we'd recently broken up. I didn't want to ask him the same question: are you still with someone? But it was all I could think about as he told me he is coming to Vancouver for work and would like to see me, have dinner or something. I know in my heart the only way I can see him when he arrives in a few months' time is if he's single and unattached, and if I am, too.

Why? I'm not exactly sure. This was the guy who broke my heart. There is no happy ending to my story with him. It was an extremely hard break for me - in fact, it resulted in me packing up six years' worth of life in Toronto and moving back home, unable to cope without the support of my old friends and family.

It's OK, people said. It wasn't meant to be with him. You'll find someone else, someone better for you. So far no luck. I haven't felt the same deep love for another person since. Sometimes I wonder if I ever will. Was he my only chance at true love or is it just a matter of time before I find something even better? I'm not sure; I can only wait and see.

But talking to him makes all those old emotions well up again. I wonder if that's a good thing or not. Four years or so after the fact and I'm still not completely over it? Is that right? Is it normal? Will I ever be free of this burden? Is it up to me to let go, to make the choice not to feel anything more about the situation? Is it really a matter of time? Or does your first unrequited love stay with you forever, haunting you with memories of what could have been?

Finally, I built up the nerve to ask. "I'm nervous about asking you this," I said slowly into the phone. "But, are YOU single now?"

There was a pause at the end of the line. A good two to three seconds, which felt like an eternity.

"No, I'm not."

And really, my heart sank. Not quite to the extent that it exploded into a million tiny pieces that night nearly four years ago when I stood at our apartment window, watching him drive to sleep elsewhere for the first night during our long relationship, but it did sink. It's still hurting now, as I sit here blogging about it in an attempt to sort out my feelings and hopefully make myself feel better. He still affects me - or, the breakup does.

I won't be in contact with him again - today we spoke for the first time in over a year, and for a specific reason, which I can't imagine happening again anytime soon - but by writing it here and having all of you read it, hopefully the universe will send him the message that I don't want to see him when he comes here for his work. I don't want to get a call and feel flustered and unsure. I don't want him to see me without his partner knowing. I don't want him to know about my private life and relationships, whether I'm single or not, or feel happy or sorry for me either way. I don't want to ask him again, "So, are you single now?" I'm afraid the answer will hurt too much.

2 comments:

  1. Kristie and friends,
    I would just like to commend you on what a great blog you guys have! I often turn to it, when I am flicking through endless internet pages wondering what to do with my night. I have even added it to my favourites. While I am not so sure, I am where you are feeling (that it’s great to be single), it makes me feel better to know there are girls out there feeling the exact same way. There are only so many magazine articles you can read about how great it is to be single or books with the always happy ending. I don’t know, but sometimes, I think you (or at least) I look at friends, and wonder when will it be my turn. How come loves seems to happen so easy for them and not for me. Will I fall in love like I once was, is there really something “better” like everyone says. Anyway, all the rambling aside, it’s always nice to come on to you blog, to realize I’m not the only person in the world that feels that way and to be reminded, that while I might not be married and have children (or even be close to that), that the freedom I have is a great gift and the things that are always exciting adventures around the corner- even if you are doing it alone.
    - Shelly-

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently fell in love with a girl. She was intelligent, funny and beautiful! She was in to me too, and she also mentioned the word "love". Then one day she tells me that she thinks about her ex every day. Her therapist told her that she wasn't ready for a relationship even after two years of crying over this guy. Red flag, I thought to cut my losses short and get out as soon as possible. But as blind as love or lust makes anyone... I ended up moving in with her the next month.
    So, anybody with a little bit of psychological education might be able to guess what happens next. She remains unbalanced and drives me crazy. The things she was doing were so petty, that it seemed heartbreaking to quit everything... but it was pretty obvious that she was pushing me away. Why? Was she still thinking about her ex?Dreaming that one day... maybe he'll be single again... so i'll just keep this guy I somewhat "love" on the fence...
    Well, when I read this, it reminded me of that early red flag.

    Just remember not to fuck with anyone else's heart if you don't fix your own. It has a chain reaction of heartbreak. You and her are probably doomed to complain about your heartbreak for the rest of your lives... what a waste.
    Even though it's hard, I am just going to try and find someone else. There are almost 7 billion people in the world you know. I hope that we all realize that these "heartbreak" stories are not serious problems compared real world problems and whining about it is just a waste of good energy that could be put to use in other important capacities. The hype of "love" is just another way society is diverting our attention away from major issues... like wars in other countries that our taxes are paying for... killing people... causing real trauma.

    ReplyDelete

Thirty and *gasp* single

It started about five years ago. Everyone – and we mean EVERYONE – got married. Being in a university sorority meant we knew a lot of women – some as close friends, some as acquaintances and some simply as recurring names in the endless stream of gossip that permeated our lives as part of the so-called “Greek system.” Back then we were like all the other girls – crushing, flirting, dating, crying, begging, breaking up, getting back together, falling in and out of love and, from time to time, daring to dream of our future weddings. What would the dress look like? How many bridesmaids would we have? And – most importantly – who would the groom be? We were all travelling the same path at that time; all puzzling over the complexities and emotions of “being in a relationship;” all wondering (and worrying) – when would that wonderful, white day, with its “I dos” and promises of everlasting love and happiness, come?

And then we came to that big, fat intersection. You know the one. You can either take a right, hit cruise-control and coast down scenic Wedding Way, where the sun shines and the birds sing and all the floral arrangements match the place settings or hang a left, shift into four-wheel drive and do your darndest to navigate Lonely Lane, a rocky, winding, unpredictable route fraught with potholes, landmines and seats at the singles’ table (it’s the one at the back of the room, in case you didn't know). Read more.