Sunday, September 27, 2009

Decisions. Not for the faint of heart.

Decisions, decisions. Why is it so hard? Once upon a time it was so simple. Our greatest decisions involved what classes to take, what to do on a Friday night (or Saturday, or Wednesday for that matter), what guy to bring to the party and what part-time job to pursue. For the most part, on the micro scale, our decisions did not directly affect our future. Now, I understand that our choice to go to University, select our major and drive towards our future career paths required some decisions, but for the most part, everything fell into place.


Somehow throughout my twenties, my ability to make decisions has wavered and I constantly find myself at a loss for what to do. Sometimes this takes the form of walking aimlessly around the grocery store trying to pick something for dinner -- comfort food that is uninspired but reliable or the exotic that is intriguing but untrodden. Sometimes my indecisiveness directly affects my ability to make real and important life decisions. Such is the case right now.

I currently find myself at a crossroads -- like many we have discussed previously in this blog -- and I need to decide my path. On the left is the life I have always known which has brought me "some" stability, lots of heartache, but a general sense of comfort. On the right is a life of adventure with many twists and turns, uncertainty, but with the hope of such greatness at the end. While the choice may seem obvious, it is hard to walk away from everything you have known for the unknown that awaits. My mind is filled with so many doubts and so many "what if" scenarios that Old Reliable seems like a welcomed friend.

Maybe it is my biological clock that is ticking. Maybe I am realizing that my decisions cannot be as footloose and fancy free as they were ten years ago as I do not have as much time to make mistakes as I once did. Time is such a relative element. For men, they do not have this looming deadline that happens at some unknown time around the age of forty. Their actions today do not have as much of a direct impact on their eventual ability to conceive a child. In the end, that's what this is all about.

But then I saw a good, dear friend last night whom, due to her living abroad, I had not seen for several years. We spoke about her adventures pursued alongside her husband and their eventual decision to move home to have their baby. They have both agreed that theirs is a life that will continue to be filled with exciting possibilities and future expat pursuits. We discussed how we only have one chance to make our life amazing and to embrace every presented challenge and adventure. When I have doubts, I will just remember these words of wisdom from a wise friend. While the unknown may be scary, the rewards are immeasurable.

2 comments:

  1. I had a similar discussion today with a new friend in Nanaimo. She took a great chance and left the reliable to move out West.

    No doubt, change is scary but also encourages you to grow and mature as a person.

    Speaking from experience, I have made many decisions based on feeling more than logic and as a result moved many times. Maybe not always the most lucrative decision & it affects your life direction but it's also not a bad thing. Like you said the rewards I have gained are immeasurable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! Life without change would get very boring. It can be scary at times, but that's the beauty of life. You never know what lies around the corner...it's exciting!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thirty and *gasp* single

It started about five years ago. Everyone – and we mean EVERYONE – got married. Being in a university sorority meant we knew a lot of women – some as close friends, some as acquaintances and some simply as recurring names in the endless stream of gossip that permeated our lives as part of the so-called “Greek system.” Back then we were like all the other girls – crushing, flirting, dating, crying, begging, breaking up, getting back together, falling in and out of love and, from time to time, daring to dream of our future weddings. What would the dress look like? How many bridesmaids would we have? And – most importantly – who would the groom be? We were all travelling the same path at that time; all puzzling over the complexities and emotions of “being in a relationship;” all wondering (and worrying) – when would that wonderful, white day, with its “I dos” and promises of everlasting love and happiness, come?

And then we came to that big, fat intersection. You know the one. You can either take a right, hit cruise-control and coast down scenic Wedding Way, where the sun shines and the birds sing and all the floral arrangements match the place settings or hang a left, shift into four-wheel drive and do your darndest to navigate Lonely Lane, a rocky, winding, unpredictable route fraught with potholes, landmines and seats at the singles’ table (it’s the one at the back of the room, in case you didn't know). Read more.