Sunday, September 13, 2009

1,003 great things about being single

No, I am not going to subject you to 1,003 great things, but I thought I would discuss three that made for a fabulous September Saturday. The title of the post, however, comes from a book that I saw entitled "1,003 Great Things About Being a Mom." I thought it was rather fitting that I stumbled across this book; as co-writer of SiS it made for a great topic to blog about.

There was no accompanying book about being single. Maybe that will be a future project for us, but it was once again an example of what we have been talking about. The beauty of my find was that I was headed to the cashier with a gorgeous pair of chocolate suede Michael Kors boots. I would therefore like to proclaim this activity the No. 1 thing about being single. The average mother embodied in the book would likely not have the same frivolous purchase in her hands. Selfish or justified, it is a perk of being single!

The second perk happened later in the afternoon. After a wonderful day of shopping in the sunshine, I grabbed my Italian language text book (yes, I am learning Italian), purchased a gelato and headed to the park to practice. It was such a great way to spend the early evening as the sun was setting. The likelihood of this experience as a mother with young children is very slim - both in terms of having the time for oneself and the time to learn a new language. As a single, I enjoyed every minute.

The final perk occurred as we celebrated our friend's 29th birthday. Aside from the fact that we were able to get together, have a couple of drinks at the apartment and then head out on the town, we were able to do so with no strings attached and no one to answer to. Later that evening, I found myself talking to another girl - but a mere 21 years of age - who asked me how we all knew each other. I responded that we were in the same sorority together and she was astonished that we were all friends so many years later. She said she could only hope to have such wonderful friendships in her life.

I am happy being single right now. One day I hope to have children and a husband and all of the wonders that motherhood brings but right now I don't have to feel bad about my single status. That's what this is all about. It isn't about creating divisions between the singles and the marrieds, but reaching out to other singles to say that there isn't anything wrong with you for being single. Soak up every minute of its glory because one day your life might be very different.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thirty and *gasp* single

It started about five years ago. Everyone – and we mean EVERYONE – got married. Being in a university sorority meant we knew a lot of women – some as close friends, some as acquaintances and some simply as recurring names in the endless stream of gossip that permeated our lives as part of the so-called “Greek system.” Back then we were like all the other girls – crushing, flirting, dating, crying, begging, breaking up, getting back together, falling in and out of love and, from time to time, daring to dream of our future weddings. What would the dress look like? How many bridesmaids would we have? And – most importantly – who would the groom be? We were all travelling the same path at that time; all puzzling over the complexities and emotions of “being in a relationship;” all wondering (and worrying) – when would that wonderful, white day, with its “I dos” and promises of everlasting love and happiness, come?

And then we came to that big, fat intersection. You know the one. You can either take a right, hit cruise-control and coast down scenic Wedding Way, where the sun shines and the birds sing and all the floral arrangements match the place settings or hang a left, shift into four-wheel drive and do your darndest to navigate Lonely Lane, a rocky, winding, unpredictable route fraught with potholes, landmines and seats at the singles’ table (it’s the one at the back of the room, in case you didn't know). Read more.