Thursday, September 3, 2009

Top 10 single gal travel tips

“One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” - Henry Miller

It took nearly thirty years, but I developed the passion, the desire, the adiction to travel. For so long I felt that I needed to make my journey one that was shared with a special someone and in so doing, I denied myself the wonders of seeing the world. By circumstance, I found myself with the opportunity to travel solo last December. When suggested to me, I thought it was preposterous. Why would I want to see the world's most romantic destinations -- Italy, Barcelona, Paris -- by myself? The thought of all the kissing in the streets of Montmartre and the hills of Tuscany was nauseating. Still, a wave of reason (or maybe bravery or insanity for that matter) swept over me and I knew it was something I had to do.

So, I did the unthinkable. With my single ticket in hand, I boarded the plane, I disembarked in Rome and I started the voyage that would change everything. What surprised me is that no one questioned why I was there by myself. As someone who couldn't even go to a movie theatre alone, here I was, half way around the world and feeling comfortable in my own skin. It was the most liberating experience. I allowed myself to open up to strangers, to try things that I never would at home and to just learn more about what it meant to be me. I learned more about myself in those three weeks than I had in a lifetime. There is something about travel that tears down the walls us North Americans have built and allows us to see the world's basic foundations.

For the single woman who is considering this option, I wanted to provide the following tips:

1. Stay in hostels. Through my professional life, I had had grown accustomed to five star accommodation and had preconceived notions that "hostel" was a euphemism for "dorm". Go to www.hostelworld.com and read all of the comments. Find a balance between social environment, price, fun and location, and go in with an open mind. Hostels can be for all ages and allows the single traveler the opportunity to make friends and touring partners.

2. Buy a bottle, make a friend. In addition to the above, a hostel allows the opportunity to make friends while preparing dinner or just hanging out in the evening. Buying a cheap bottle of wine and being prepared to share will grow your friendship circle exponentially.

3. Keep an open mind. Hostels come in all shapes and sizes. Some are like big college dorms, others are like homey apartments that have been transformed into rooms with multiple beds. When visiting a new location, remain positive and be prepared for anything. You will never be disappointed but you may be pleasantly surprised!

4. Try to speak the language. If you are single and female, it is quite likely that you will have a lot of men making an effort to speak to you. They will likely start a conversation in English, but try your hardest to respond in their language. Even if you make mistakes they will be impressed with your attempts and will be that much more willing to help you out.

5. Stay close to the town centre. As a single traveler, you are bound to want to explore the streets and - hopefully - enjoy the nightlife. Plan to arrive in a new city by daylight and find accommodation in the city centre. It may be tempting to stay close to a train station, but these areas are sometimes less desirable and are often a fair distance from the city's main attractions. Having a central starting point for each day's adventures will also help you thoroughly cover the city and allow for quick trips should you have forgotten to visit a monument or two.

6. Pack a dress and heels! A necessity for the single gal at home, don't get caught up in the idea that you will just be visiting monuments and rolling into bed at night. A cute cotton dress and heels does not take up much room in a backpack or suitcase but will make all the difference. If you are visiting multiple locations, no one needs to know that you have already worn the dress several times. Dressing up increases your chances to have a glass of wine purchased for you and also makes for great vacay pictures!

7. Pack light and be ready to shop. Like a single woman really needs to be told to go shopping, but use this opportunity to buy great clothes for cheaper than you would at home (Canada in particular).

8. Be open to any experience. Even if your intention is to soak up as much culture as possible, don't prevent yourself from being open to wonderfully eye opening and life changing experiences. You never know what a chance encounter might become.

9. Read more. The above tips are light and fun, but for information on how to remain safe while traveling view this article. Your safety is your #1 priority and concern.

10. Live and enjoy. This is your time to learn about yourself and shine. Live your life with no regrets and make a million memories.

1 comment:

  1. love love love it! that plane ticket was worth every penny - it changed your life!

    ReplyDelete

Thirty and *gasp* single

It started about five years ago. Everyone – and we mean EVERYONE – got married. Being in a university sorority meant we knew a lot of women – some as close friends, some as acquaintances and some simply as recurring names in the endless stream of gossip that permeated our lives as part of the so-called “Greek system.” Back then we were like all the other girls – crushing, flirting, dating, crying, begging, breaking up, getting back together, falling in and out of love and, from time to time, daring to dream of our future weddings. What would the dress look like? How many bridesmaids would we have? And – most importantly – who would the groom be? We were all travelling the same path at that time; all puzzling over the complexities and emotions of “being in a relationship;” all wondering (and worrying) – when would that wonderful, white day, with its “I dos” and promises of everlasting love and happiness, come?

And then we came to that big, fat intersection. You know the one. You can either take a right, hit cruise-control and coast down scenic Wedding Way, where the sun shines and the birds sing and all the floral arrangements match the place settings or hang a left, shift into four-wheel drive and do your darndest to navigate Lonely Lane, a rocky, winding, unpredictable route fraught with potholes, landmines and seats at the singles’ table (it’s the one at the back of the room, in case you didn't know). Read more.